Today we’re mixing things up for Day Five of Thanksgiving Week with some raw vegetables.
Thanksgiving is typically full of browned, roasted, mashed, baked, cheesy, creamy, and otherwise hot foods. Foods that I adore with every fiber of my being, and yet, I’m always missing one thing on my plate: something raw, crunchy, and tangy.
Am I the only one who leaves their Thanksgiving meal feeling full and happy, but a few bites of tangy apple slaw shy of satisfied? I hope not, because today’s recipe is exactly that.
Purple Cabbage + Thinly Sliced Apple + Red Onion + Parsley + Lemon-Dijon Vinaigrette.
It’s tart, slightly sweet, super crunchy, and adds a little something raw and fresh to your typical Thanksgiving plate.
In other words: this is the perfect dish to bring to Thanksgiving that feels new and exciting but won’t be out of place among all the mashed potatoes, stuffing, squash, green bean casseroles, and mac + cheese. It stands out, but it fits in. It’s like the new iPhone. Only significantly less expensive.
I’m not suggesting you use this recipe to replace any of your beloved standbys, just that you make it in addition to the classics, and let everyone take a little scoop on their plate along with all that warm, roasted, cheesy, golden goodness.
On an ordinary day, this slaw might only serve 4-6 people as a side dish. But on a day like Thanksgiving, where, at least in my family, there are a dozen different foods to fit onto your plate, this seemingly small batch of slaw is the perfect amount to feed a crowd.
If there’s still room in your Thanksgiving menu for another side dish, this Purple Cabbage & Apple Slaw with Lemon Vinaigrette should make the cut! It’s easy to make (just slice all the veg + whisk together the dressing, then combine the two), full of fall produce, and adds that satisfying tangy crunch to Thanksgiving that I never knew I was missing, but now can’t live without.
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do! If you make it, leave a comment below, or take a picture and share it with me on Instagram!
Stay tuned this weekend for two more brand new Thanksgiving recipes (spoiler alert: they’re both desserts!), as well as the Thanksgiving Recipe Roundup on Monday, November 20th!
- 1 very small red cabbage (to yield about 8 cups, shredded)
- 2 small or 1 very large tart green apple
- 1 small red onion
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- juice + zest from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1. Thinly slice the cabbage, apple, and red onion, and roughly chop the parsley. Pile them all into a large bowl and set aside.
- 2. Put all vinaigrette ingredients into a mason jar with a lid, and shake to combine (alternately, whisk together in a small bowl). Pour dressing over the slaw, and toss well to combine. Serve immediately.
- This recipe yields enough slaw to feed 4-6 people as a stand-alone side dish on a 'regular' day, but on Thanksgiving, this recipe should yield plenty of slaw for 10+ people to have a small scoop on their plate along with all the other Thanksgiving sides.