December is finally here, and the countdown to Christmas is on!
To make this month of merriment a little bit easier on everyone, I’m kicking it off with this simple, 8-ingredient snack mix full of savory, sweet, and salty flavors.
It’s like Chex mix, but I kicked out all the ingredients I wasn’t in love with (starting with the Chex).
Also known as the best snack mix to bring to every holiday party you’re invited to this year.
You could even make a double batch and portion it out into jars tied with ribbon/twine and gift tags, and gift it to all your coworkers or pretzel-and-nut-loving friends and family!
I know I will be tying up some little bags of it to stick into everyone’s stockings this year, since we always need a few homemade add-ons to the traditional stocking stuffers.
To make this simple, savory-sweet snack mix, all you need is:
Pretzels. I use these spelt flour pretzels (though they’re cheaper in-store than on Amazon) partly because I think spelt is cool and partly because they aren’t quite as toasty as regular pretzels, so they hold up well to a long roast in the oven with the nuts.
Nuts. You can choose whichever nuts you love snacking on best, but I went with a combination of pecans, cashews (the jumbo ones look extra pretty here), and almonds. Just make sure they’re all raw (not roasted or salted), since you are going to roast and season them yourself.
Fresh Rosemary for a fresh, savory, earthy element in this snack mix.
Dried Garlic and Smoked Paprika for a little smoky, savory spice kick.
Maple Syrup for a little hint of sweetness, and to help stick everything together.
Olive Oil to help everything toast up beautifully.
And a little bit of salt to make sure every bite has a little bit of salty-sweet-savory-smoky perfection.
Stir everything up in a bowl, dump onto a sheet pan, and roast for 25 minutes. That’s it!
I think you’re going to be as OBSESSED with this snack mix as I am. It’s:
sweet + salty
and absolutely loaded with nuts.
This snack mix is sure to bring extra holiday cheer to your life, whether you make it all for yourself, bring it to a party to share, or wrap it up as cute little gifts.
If you make this recipe, let me know how it turns out! Leave a comment below, or take a picture and share it with me on Instagram! Happy December, Friends!
- 4 cups pretzel twists (I used Newman's Own Spelt Pretzels)
- 4 cups raw nuts of choice (I used a combination of pecans, cashews, and almonds)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons finely diced fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper (for easy clean-up).
- 2. Put all ingredients into a large bowl, and stir well to combine. Dump onto the sheet pan, and spread out in an even layer. Be sure to scrape any remaining liquid/spices from the bowl onto the snack mix before baking.
- 3. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven and stir. Bake 10 more minutes, or until pretzels and nuts are golden. Remove from the oven and let cool completely on the pan before serving. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
- This recipe yields 8 cups of snack mix- feel free to double and bake on two sheet pans for a larger batch. You may need to increase the baking time by about 5 minutes, and should plan to rotate the pans (so the one on the top moves to the bottom and vice versa) after you take them out to stir at the 15 minute mark.